Dear Richmond Street Families,
For new and returning students, welcome to Richmond Street School for the 2017-2018 school year! It is hard to believe that it is already August and we are all preparing our school and classrooms for the arrival of your children. We look forward to working with you and your children this year.
We have several new teachers to the Richmond Street School family! Please join me in welcoming:
- Ms. Meghan McGinnis - Kindergarten Teacher
- Ms. Erin Goss - 1st Grade Teacher
- Ms. Carly Taylor - 3rd Grade Teacher
- Ms. Heather Domer - 4th Grade Teacher
Our Richmond Street Learning Garden also received a makeover this summer thanks to our wonderful PTA, Farmer Matt, the Arnold, Gurr, and McCaverty Families! A true labor of love and time were dedicated to transforming this space. Make sure you take a look at the beautiful plants and vegetables that have been growing and flourishing while our children were on summer vacation!
The first day of school is quickly approaching. To help you plan, please read the following important information:
Powerschool Online Registration
Powerschool is currently generating an email with a link and code, which you will receive to complete registration for your child online. (Please check your spam/junk folder if you have not yet received the email.) Up-to-date contact information is essential to us so that we may keep you informed of what is happening in our school community and so that we may contact you in the event of an emergency. If your address has changed recently, you must provide current proof of residence to Laurie Meyer in our Educational Services office at 641 Sheldon Avenue. Your online registration must be completed no later than .
Back to School Picnic hosted by PTA -
Please join Richmond Street School's Parent Teacher Association (PTA) for a Back to School Picnic on . Come check out the PTA membership table, find out what we do, discover the benefits, join, and get a Blue Butterfly sticker.
Don't feel like planning dinner or packing a picnic - we've got you covered. There will be food trucks, live music, spirit wear, games, and more...
So grab a blanket or purchase one of the RSS fold-up waterproof spirit wear blankets, and come meet your fellow RSS parents, teachers, administrators, and students. Let's start this school year off with a fun-filled family event.
First Day of School – , Minimum Day Schedule
- Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten: Parents and students attend class for an orientation from only. TK/Kinder students’ “official” full day will be th.
- 1st / 2nd Grades:
- 3rd/4th/5th Grades:
Early Bird Schedule for TK-2nd grade
Prior to our Back to School Night (), our youngest Butterflies are all on Early Bird schedule as our teachers determine which groups of children will work best together to optimize small group instruction.
- TK/K -
- 1st/2nd – (except Mondays)
- 3rd/4th/5th – (except Mondays)
Morning Drop Off
- All students (TK/Kdg -5th grade) can be dropped off each morning beginning at
- Cars are to enter on Richmond Street (front of the school) and drive down to the drop-off zone located in front of the kindergarten playground.
- Cones and signs will indicate the drop off area.
- Please do not drop off your child in the Richmond Street parking area. Instead, wait until you’ve reached the drop-off zone.
- When your car stops, a volunteer will open the passenger side door. Students should exit their vehicle only on the passenger side and must be able to get themselves out of the car without any help from their parent.
- Please respectfully follow the directions of the staff and volunteers.
- Parents are to remain inside their cars – do not leave car unattended.
- After your child exits the car, cars must drive forward until drop-off area ends and then re-enter Richmond Street.
- School starts at . Morning Drop off ends at this bell.
- If you prefer parking and walking your child into school, legal parking is available in several places around the school including in front of the school on Richmond Street. Parking on Palm Ave., Virginia Street, and Mariposa Avenue are also an option. There is also public parking available near the library on Mariposa.
- TK and Kindergarten parents, for the first few weeks, we encourage you to park legally and walk your child to the kindergarten yard.
Afternoon Pick Up
- When picking up your child after school, Richmond Street can become very congested. PLEASE DO NOT double/triple park behind parked cars. This can become very dangerous for our students who are often times smaller than the hood of many vehicles.
- Please plan to arrive 5-10 minutes early before picking up your child or come slightly past as the traffic will ease up.
- There is street parking on Palm Ave., Virginia Street, and Mariposa Avenue.
- Please keep moving until a parking spot becomes available and circle the block if necessary.
- DO NOT block/park in the crosswalk.
- Please respectfully follow the directions of staff and volunteers.
Back to School Night is th,
More detailed information and the schedule will be available in late August.
Class placement letters will be generated and sent to you the week of . If you do not receive your child’s class placement by , please contact the office on . Our office staff will also be available to assist parents/students with classroom assignments on the morning of . Class assignments were made after careful consideration from the teachers and administration, and we are committed to ensuring the best learning environment for your child.
For any additional questions or information, please check our school’s website: www.richmondstreet.org.
We greatly appreciate the level of trust that you have in us to educate your child and thank you for your help and support. We look forward to seeing you in August and wish you an enjoyable and productive 2017-2018 school year.
See you in a few weeks!
Alice Lee, Ed.D.
Richmond Street School