LITERACY O' LANTERNS CONTEST
Literacy ‘O Lanterns Contest
GOAL: To foster a genuine love of reading and get kids talking about favorite books!
CREATE A BOOK CHARACTER ON A PUMPKIN (OR GOURD)
Grab a Sharpie, paint, accessories, and activate your imagination!
- Look for characters with simple shapes and pick a fruit that’s similar. Think about Arthur – he looks just like a butternut squash!
- Pick Details! For the most part you won’t be able to fit an entire character and every feature of that character. Pick a few details to get it juuuuuussst right. Think of Olivia’s triangular nostrils, the striped pattern in “A Bad Case of Stripes.”
- Use Accessories! Captain Underpants with REAL UNDIES, a raised Play-Doh scar for Harry Potter, a crown for Mercy Watson “Princess in Disguise.”
- WARNING -Pumpkins that are punctured, ooze and rot quickly! Please avoid, and stick with glue and tape!
- There are a ton of possibilities -HAVE FUN!
- See photo slideshow below for samples or Google "book character pumpkins."
ALBUM LINKS (also found under Photo Albums on my webpage):
Contact Mrs. Haun, RSS Reading Specialist - firstname.lastname@example.org