PLEASE USE THE LINKS WITHIN THE RIGHT, DARK BLUE SIDEBAR
TO FIND A WEALTH OF INFORMATION!
My role as READING SPECIALIST is to support our students, staff, parents, and administrators in countless ways, including, but not limited to...
• Reading intervention for 70+ students a year, grades K-5. Students are provided targeted, direct instruction 2-4 days a week in small-groups to best meet individual needs
• Implement diagnostic assessments to more closely monitor and understand students’ reading abilities
• Assist teachers with assessments and reading strategies
• Collect, analyze, and report on reading scores of every class (grades K-5) at least 4 times a year
• Establish and oversee district literacy assessments and benchmarks
• Plan and provide staff development and training
• Manage thousands of leveled books checked out by teachers to provide differentiated instruction in the classrooms
*Manage computer/on-line programs such as Raz-Kids.com, Headsprout, and SRI
• Run or assist with motivating, fun literacy events such as Read Across America Day, Read-a-thon, Family Reading Night, Literacy O' Lanterns, and World Read Aloud Day.
• Participate in leadership roles including Student Study Team, Grade Level Representative, and LCAP Advisory Committee.
This is made possible with the support of Bobby Summers, instructional assistant funded by School Site Council.
Thank you Ed Foundation for partially funding The Reading Program!
I received a BS in Education from USC (go Trojans!) and obtained my MA in Education with a specialization in Reading/Language Arts from CSULB. I have worked at Richmond Street School as a Reading Specialist since 2003! I count my lucky stars to have long-standing roots in this outstanding school district and community. Prior to El Segundo, I worked as a Reading Specialist at Robinson Elementary School in Manhattan Beach for five years. I also had an amazing experience as an assistant language teacher from 1997-1998 in Nara, Japan. I love to work with children and I have a great passion for teaching literacy. “There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all.” – Jacqueline Kennedy
*Clear Specialist Instruction - Reading
*Clear Multiple Subject Teaching
*Clear Cross-Cultural, Lang. & Academic Development
*Recipient - Target Early Reading Grant - $2,000 (2014)
*American Literacy Corporation Outstanding Contributions to Literacy (2008)
*Richmond Street School Teacher of the Year (2007-08)
I am also incredibly blessed with a wonderful husband and two little girls – ages 6 and 9. They keep me on my toes and my heart full of overflowing love.