Please take advantage of this fantastic program at home. The eBooks would be great to use for required homework minutes or to read on-the-go!
WHAT IS RAZ-KIDS?
- Raz-Kids helps students improve their reading skills as they listen to a book read for modeled fluency. Students also read the books for practice, clicking on troublesome words for pronunciation and vocabulary support. I encourage you to have your child read the story aloud so you can provide praise and coach as needed.
- Students can record themselves reading the same book if the computer/tablet has a built-in record function or plug-in microphone. Teachers have access to all recordings of students from their own classrooms, but they are not required. Listening to recordings at home is a great way to self-reflect, monitor progress, and build fluency. If you cannot, however, don’t worry, your child will benefit from all the other program components. There are also other eTools/features to support interaction with the text.
- Interactive quizzes occur at the end of each book to check for understanding. If too many questions are missed, students need to reread the story again before they are able to take it again. Data reports are available to monitor activity as well as comprehension skills broken down (recall, vocabulary, inference, problem/solution, fact/opinion, sequencing, etc.)
- A Reading Rocket and Avatar Builder incentive program is also tied in as students earn stars and badges for their achievements. They love this!
HOW TO ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT:
- LEVEL UP gives access to all the books in a specified level. The assignment will automatically progress the student to the next level after every book has been read and listened to, and every quiz passed with 80% or higher. A green check denotes complete and a black check denotes something to re-do.
- The Reading Room is where students can access reading resources for reading practice and enjoyment - find books by topic, category, and popularity. In addition, students can save their favorite books.
Your child can choose to listen, read, or take a quiz by clicking on the symbols below each book. To review activity, quiz scores, or send messages, go to Parent Access. Simply log in as your child, click the "Parents" link in the top right, and register today.