T/K-GRADE 5 READ-A-THON
Bailey’s LA Kings Royal Readers
January 13 – February 14
To encourage children to read outside of the classroom and to improve individual literacy
SCHOOL GOAL 450,000 MINUTES!!!
T/K-1 = 15-25 mins/day *Grades 2-3 = 20-30 mins/day *Grades 4-5 = 30-40 mins/day
IF YOU NEED ANOTHER READING LOG, PRINT THE FILE BELOW, SWING BY THE OFFICE, OR ATTACH YOUR OWN PAPER.
* Keep track of every minute your child reads each day outside of school hours on the reading log.
* T/K –2nd graders can do a combination of parent read-alouds and the child reading to an adult.
* Grades 3-5 should read independently or aloud to someone.
* Minutes MUST be signed off by a parent or adult.
* Late logs will NOT be accepted. Logs are due February 14th.
* Be sure to write down your total combined minutes read on your log when you turn it in!
* Snuggle up with books and have fun - keep a light, enjoyable reading environment at home.
The sheer volume of reading – the number of minutes a student reads outside of school - is one of the best predictors of how well that student will read. In addition to fueling your child’s mind and instilling a love for literacy, incentive prizes will be awarded.
PRIZES: Prizes are based on the collective number of minutes read by each classroom, so students should work together to reach their reading goals. Remember, it takes an entire team to score; make sure you read everyday and encourage your classmates to do the same!
SPECIAL ASSEMBLY – If we meet out school goal of 450,000 minutes, the students will be rewarded with a special show!
COLD STONE - Cold Stone Creamery will serve up ice cream to TWO CLASSES with the HIGHEST MINUTES in the school.
One Upper Grade Winner (grades 3-5) and One Primary Grade Winner (Grades TK-2).
BOOK PROM PARTY – The class that READS THE MOST from EACH GRADE LEVEL will be cordially invited to a fun-filled, Book Prom Party. Six Winning Classes Total.
100% PARTICIPATION – Each class that has every student turn in a log will all get a free Cold Stone Creamery Coupon.
ROYAL READER PRIZES:
500 MINUTES - Any student that individually reads 500 minutes will receive a pair of tickets to an LA Kings Hockey game!
5,000 MINUTES - A Kings bookmark will be given to every student in classrooms that read 5,000 combined minutes or more.
10,000 MINUTES - A Kings pencil will be given to every student in classrooms that read at least 10,000 combined minutes.
20,000 MINUTES- A Kings ruler will be given to every student in classrooms that read at least 20,000 combined minutes.
30,000 MINUTES- A Kings post-it note pack will be given to every student in classrooms that read 30,000 combined minutes.
All awards will be announced on March 2nd – READ ACROSS AMERICA DAY!
All Kings prizes will be distributed in April.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE READING HAPPEN
1. CHOICE: Let your kids choose the books that they read.
2. BOUNTY: Fill your house with LOTS of books. More books = more chances for your children to find a fantastic, amazing, very good book that they can’t put down.
3. LIBRARY: Use your library. Let your kids go WILD and check out plenty of books!
4. TIME: Kids need opportunities for reading. So, make sure they’re not filling all their time with TV, video games, and iPad time.
I also have a webpage that gives suggestions on how to access online and ebooks anytime, anywhere - such as Epic!, OverDrive, and Raz-Kids or visit my page of book recommendations.
I WOULD LOVE VOLUNTEERS FOR THE BOOK PROM CELEBRATION TO BE IN MID MARCH - Planners, Decorators, Set-up, Day of Support - any and all help! :)
Happy Reading!!! Mrs. Lisa Haun, Reading Specialist - email@example.com 310-606-6831310-606-6831, Ext. 5212
READING PROGRAM PARTIALLY FUNDED BY ED FOUNDATION – TOGETHER WE CAN! - www.esedf.org