Dear Richmond Street Families,
For new and returning students, welcome to Richmond Street School for the 2018-2019 school year! It is hard to believe that it is almost August and we are all preparing our school and classrooms for the arrival of your children. We look forward to working with you and your children this year. To help you plan, here is a little important information:
First Day of School – Wednesday, August 29th, Minimum Day Schedule
- Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten: Parents and students attend class for an orientation from 9:00am-10:00am only.
- The "official" first day for TK/Kinder will be Thursday, August 30.
- 1st / 2nd Grades: 8:20am – 12:50pm
- 3rd/4th/5th Grades: 8:20am – 1:30pm
Early Bird Schedule for TK-2nd Grade August 29 - September 14
Prior to our Back to School Night, our youngest Butterflies are all on early bird schedule as our teachers determine which groups of children will work best together to optimize small group instruction.
- TK/K - 8:20am –12:45pm
- 1st/2nd – 8:20am – 2:05pm (except Mondays)
- 3rd/4th/5th – 8:20am – 2:45pm (except Mondays)
Morning Drop Off
- All students (TK/Kdg -5th grade) can be dropped off each morning beginning at 8:05 a.m.
- Cars are to enter on Richmond Street (front of the school) and drive down to the drop-off zone located in front of the kindergarten playground.
- Cones and signs will indicate the drop off area.
- Please do not drop off your child in the Richmond Street parking area. Instead, wait until you’ve reached the drop-off zone.
- When your car stops, a volunteer will open the passenger side door. Students should exit their vehicle only on the passenger side and must be able to get themselves out of the car without any help from their parent.
- Please respectfully follow the directions of the staff and volunteers.
- Parents are to remain inside their cars – do not leave car unattended.
- After your child exits the car, cars must drive forward until drop-off area ends and then re-enter Richmond Street.
- School starts at 8:20. Morning Drop off ends at this bell.
- If you prefer parking and walking your child into school, legal parking is available in several places around the school including in front of the school on Richmond Street. Parking on Palm Ave., Virginia Street, and Mariposa Avenue are also an option. There is also public parking available near the library on Mariposa.
- TK and Kindergarten parents, for the first few weeks, we encourage you to park legally and walk your child to the kindergarten yard.
Afternoon Pick Up
- When picking up your child after school, Richmond Street can become very congested. PLEASE DO NOT double/triple park behind parked cars. This can become very dangerous for our students who are often times smaller than the hood of many vehicles.
- Please plan to arrive 5-10 minutes early before picking up your child or come slightly past 2:45pm as the traffic will ease up.
- There is street parking on Palm Ave., Virginia Street, and Mariposa Avenue.
- Please keep moving until a parking spot becomes available and circle the block if necessary.
- DO NOT block/park in the crosswalk.
- Please respectfully follow the directions of staff and volunteers.
For any additional questions or information, please check our school’s website: www.richmondstreet.org.
We greatly appreciate the level of trust that you have in us to educate your child and thank you for your help and support. We look forward to seeing you in August and wish you an enjoyable and productive 2018-2019 school year.
Alice Lee, Ed.D.
Principal, Richmond Street School
Help us W.A.T.E.R (We Activate, Transform, and Empower at Richmond)!